Sunday, April 14, 2013

Over 50


It's finally over 50 degrees which means Jeff and I can go out with out feeling like it's a chore. When you live in East Harlem (now), you only really have to worry about the long trek to the 6 train. At 10 degrees and snowing, this is your nightmare.

Now that it's feeling like spring, we can finally go out and do something that isn't just a 5 mile run.

Jeff's boss gave him two passes for the MoMA because he's never been. Since I've been once before, I decided to take the trip to make art out of art after.. Mostly I was a little bored of the thought of walking through another museum and not because I'm just uncultured considering I've spent the last 4 years studying all the works featured. I really started thinking about which pieces were working, and which weren't for me and why it had that effect.

"Art is just your impressions mixed with your oppressions.. I nailed that in one sentence." - Me
"You said opposites. You can nail anything when you say opposites." - Jeff

Really, I narrowed it to connecting with consciousness. Obviously, all the work in that museum has thought behind it but how do we see the artist consciousness (if it's even there at all?) I know what looks good together, I do it every day. Composition just takes a good eye finding the balance or the chaos. With years of training, it could literally be effortless and have no second thought, because you know it's just esthetically pleasing (ie golden ratio.) It's tapping in to the why that I think separates it. Why am I doing this, how do I do subconsciousness.

Philosophy aside, museums are all the same.
1. You walk in
2. You look around
   2a. You goof off to be cool because you are too cool for this.
   2b. You snap a picture of the Scream or some showcase because it's famous.
   2c. You listen to/are some annoying over analyzer thinking they know everything art.
   2d. You are stuck trying to get around a large tour group of all the things mentioned above.
3. You leave and visit the book store for a souvenir.

While this visit started out as every expectation, we hit a groove towards the end when we stepped in to a blank room where you could walk on a black slab on the floor. Since it was an interaction piece, I could take a picture of this piece how ever I saw fit. Which, with my thoughts now open to this concept, could be said for all of the work in the museum; which is what we did as you can see from the gif above. So, next time you are bored in a museum, grab your friend and do some selfies for IG that add to the piece. I would say use some tag like #myart but I'm sure that's already used for high school artists sharing their neat-o works. So, if you come up with a cool tag, let me know. I would love to see some interpretations!



Later that night I saw man who's music has inspired me for 10 years.

BT

What a treat. I thought I would never get to see him live let alone meet him.


Have I said that I'm happy spring is here so I can start going out again?
Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!


xo,
Paige



Side note: Trying to get better at selfies/having Jeff take better pictures of me and feeling less awkward. Since I'll be launching a product in the next few months, I have to get use to modeling.


No comments :

Post a Comment